An animation installation that explores binocular rivalry and random dot stereograms in an attempt to create impossible spaces which break and subvert stereoscopic perception.
|EXHIBITIONS AND SCREENINGS 2016-2017
- The Overkill Festival, Enschede, Holland, 27-29 Oct 2017 (exhibition)
- Expanded Animation Symposium, Linz, Austria, 8 Sep 2017 (paper: 'Broken Visions in Stereo')
- Ars Electronica Festival, Linz, Austria, 7-11 Sep 2017 (Deep Space 8K: Max Hattler: Expanded Abstractions)
- London Animation Club, London, 1 Aug 2017 (Max Hattler Returns to... talk/screening)
- 29th Society for Animation Studies Conference, University of Padova, Padua, Italy, 4 Jul 2017 (presentation: ‘Expanded Abstractions: From Fake Holography to Broken Stereoscopy’)
- Annual China Animation Studies Conference, Sichuan Animation Research Centre, Academy of Art and Film, Chengdu University, Chengdu, China, 19 Nov 2016 ('Experiential Abstractions' lecture)
- Punto y Raya Festival, ZKM Center for Art and Media, Karlsruhe, Germany, 23 Oct 2016 (masterclass)
- 2016 HongKong-Macau Visual Art Biennale, Beijing Minsheng Art Museum, Beijing, China, 1-10 Sep 2016; Silk Road International Culture Expo, Dunhuang, China, 20 Sep - 8 Oct 2016; Henan Art Museum, Zhengzhou, China, 20-30 Oct 2016. Presented by the Ministry of Culture of the People's Republic of China, Organised by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Co-ordinated by the Art Promotion Office and the City University of Hong Kong. Executed by the China Arts and Entertainment Group and the China International Exhibition Agency. Participating Artists: Henry Chu, Tobias Gremmler, Max Hattler, Ip Yuk-yiu, Alan Kwan, Jeffrey Shaw, Sinan Goo, Tamas Waliczky, anothermountainman (Stanley Wong).
- School of Arts, Renmin University, Beijing, China, 3 Sep 2016 (guest lecture)
- School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 15 Jun 2016 (Brown Bag Research presents Reflections on Abstractions by Max Hattler)
- POST PiXEL. Animamix Biennale 2015-16, Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre, Hong Kong, 21 Mar - 17 Apr 2016
MEDIA AND LINKS
- Animamix Biennale held at CityU, Ta Kung Pao
- SCM exhibition showcases art under the influence of animation and comics, CityU NewsCentre
- POST PiXEL. Animamix Biennale 2015-16, ACIM
- New Media. New Idea - POST PiXEL. Animamix Biennale 2015-16, Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre
- Animamix Biennale 2015-16 Facebook Event
|"I have pursued flatness over depth in most of my work up to this point. Spatial relations cannot always immediately be understood in two-dimensional space. This obfuscation of scale and depth has been an important element in my work, as
it underlines the visual abstraction I am pursuing. Yet I have always been interested in stereoscopy, wondering how it can be used to achieve a confusion of spatial perception within 3D space. III=III is an experiment, a first attempt at creating impossible spaces that aim to disrupt traditional notions of three-dimensionality." Max Hattler in POST PiXEL. Animamix Biennale 2015-16 (exhibition catalogue, (2016, p. 34)
Directed by Max Hattler.
Animation by Max Hattler, Shihang Pan, Mihails Scukins, Jiaru Wu.
Sound by Jean-Gabriel Becker.
Format: Stereoscopic animation loop, 4x3m
|[ home ]|